Plumbing issues can be some of the most intimidating problems you have to solve as a homeowner. It even gets worse when you experience a sewer back up. Such a problem mostly arises when there is an obstruction that prevents the proper flow of wastewater from your home.
What are the causes of sewer backups?
Sewage system back ups in your home are mainly as a result of the following issues in the city’s main sewer lines, or your home’s system.
1. Lack of maintenance
A sewer system is not meant to function forever without maintenance services. Just like any other system, a time comes when wear and tear get the better of your sewer line’s ability to stand the test of time. To head such problems off, consider hiring experts from Rescue Plumbers Inc. to inspect your sewer line once in a while.
2. Old cast iron
Most original sewer pipe installations are comprised of cast iron, clay, and other materials that can’t last forever. The cast iron will become weaker and eventually collapse or crack, potentially causing a sewer backup.
Clogs are the most common reasons for sewer back ups. Things that usually clog the system include hair, soap scum, grease, and some toilet paper.
4. Broken lines
Broken sewer lines will obviously cause interrupted flow of wastewater which, in turn, leads to a back up.
5. Roots blockage
Most of the older sewer lines were made of clay and other porous materials. Besides, their connections weren’t as tight as today’s, so they were weak to a certain extent.
As shrubs and trees grow, their roots get into the pipes, sometimes in search of water. That can cause an obstruction or even breakage, and as such, a back up is inevitable.
6. Septic tank issues
The effluent from an overflowing septic tank passes to the drainfield, causing a clog in the pipes. Such problems, in turn, lead to toilet and sink back up issues in your house.
7. Sagging sewer line
This mostly occurs when a section of a sewer pipe “bellies” due to ground or soil conditions. The sunken spot causes problems by collecting insoluble deposits that cause blockages in the long run.
Signs of an impending back up
Catching your sewer line issue before it’s too late is possible, as long as you look out for the following signs:
• Gurgling sounds when the toilet flushes, or when water is draining.
• Water coming from under the toilet.
• Water coming out of the tub when you open the Faucet.
• Water coming out of the tub when you flush the toilet.
• Your lawn starts to change – you see a soggy part or an indentation on your lawn when it hasn’t rained recently.
• Frequent clogs, especially in your home’s lowest levels.
Avoiding sewer back ups
Do you want to steer clear of sewer back ups in your home? If your answer to that is Yes (Who’d say No?), consider the following tips:
1. Stop using your toilet as a wastebasket – Avoid flushing diapers, facial tissues, and other weird solid waste down the toilet.
2. Don’t dump large items into the garbage disposal system.
3. Never pour fat or grease down the drain.
4. Have your sewage system professionally inspected once in a while.
5. Use a screen strainer to get rid of debris such as large food particles, hair, and others.
6. Consider replacing metal and clay sewer lines with modern PVC or plastic pipes.
7. Use Septic Safe toilet paper as it breaks down easily.
8. Clean drains regularly using baking soda, vinegar, and warm water, instead of harsh chemical drain cleaners.
Don’t make the costly mistake that others have made before
Reaching for cheap, easy fixes to get rid of clogged sewer systems can eventually cause damages that will be costlier to repair. Luckily, Rescue Plumbers Inc. is here to make solve all your back up issues and make your life easier.
Below is a list of the areas we mainly serve in High Desert, CA (We are, however, expanding our services to other locations, so hang in there if yours isn’t listed):
• Apple Valley
• Spring Valley Lake
• Jess Ranch
• Pinon Hills
• Baldy Mesa
• Oak Hills
• Lucerne Valley
• Phelan, Ca
Get in touch with us today at (760) 241-3100 for Water and Sewer Line Repair in High Desert CA that will give you the peace of mind that you deserve.